Various tones and recorded announcements may be heard during your call. These tones/announcements indicate the progress or disposition of your call:
- dial tone - the network is ready for your call. Dial your number.
- ring tone - incoming - a routine precedence call is coming in. Answer the phone.
- ring tone - outgoing - your called number is ringing. Wait for your party to answer. On routine calls, you should hear a normal ringing tone (10 rings per minute). On calls of higher precedence, you will hear a very fast ringing tone (30 rings per minute).
- busy tone- outgoing - the called number may be in use, local equipment at your location may be busy, network equipment may be busy, or an equipment failure may have occurred. After a brief wait, call again.
- preempt tone - your call was cut off by a higher precedence call. Hang up; the call may be for you. If the preempted call requires completion, wait a short time and redial.
- warbling tone - precedes a conference call. When you hear this, stand by for instructions or for the other parties of the conference to be connected.
Recorded announcements should be noted, and if trouble is suspected, report according to the procedures outlined in the Telephone Trouble and Unsatisfactory Service Reporting section of the DSN Telephone Directory. Please note the error message number, as this may be helpful to your supporting telephone service provider in troubleshooting access problems.
The following are examples of recorded announcements:
"Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please consult your directory and call again or ask your operator for assistance. This is a recording (pause) error message number/switch number and country."
"The precedence used is not authorized for your line. Please use an authorized precedence or ask your operator for assistance. This is a recording (pause) error message number/switch number and country."
"Equal or higher precedence calls have prevented the completion of your call or the number you have dialed is not equipped for preemption. This is a recording (pause) error message number/switch number and country."
"A DSN service disruption has prevented the completion of your call. Please wait 30 minutes and try again. In case of an emergency, call your operator. This is a recording (pause) error message number/switch number and country."